Directions: Please answer all of the questions below. This is a formal paper. You will be graded on content, along with spelling and grammatical quality. Use MLA format to write your paper (parenthetical citations are permitted). Your paper must be typed, double-spaced, with 1-inch margins around, and no longer than 750 words. Do not include a title page. I will only read the first 750 words. Points will be deducted if these policies are not followed. It is highly recommended that you utilize the Writing Center to help improve the quality of your paper. All assignments must be submitted using TurnItIn through Blackboard. You will be graded on your discussion of the topic described below, as well as the support provided for your opinions. Where possible, please use specific facts and data to support your opinions. You are required to use additional sources to complete this assignment. There is a lot of information available on this topic. Use proper citation format, footnotes or in-text citations, and a bibliography. Your bibliography must include the three (3) sources below and at least two (2) additional sources. I reserve the right to ask to see drafts of your paper. Please save earlier drafts for this purpose.
Essay Topic: Effects of the Pandemic on a Specific Industry
Read the following articles (links are also posted on myCourses):
Dunlap, Tom, Dave Wagner, and Frank Scavo. “Coronavirus Impact Index by Industry.” Coronavirus Impact Index by Industry | Computer Economics — for IT Metrics, Ratios, Benchmarks, and Research Advisories for IT Management. www.computereconomics.com/article.cfm?id=2788.
Kumar, Neeraj, and Danny Haydon. “Industries Most and Least Impacted by COVID-19 from a Probability of Default Perspective – March 2020 Update.” Industries Most and Least Impacted by COVID-19 from a Probability of Default Perspective – March 2020 Update | S&P Global Market Intelligence, 7 Apr. 2020. www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/blog/industries-most-and-least-impacted-bycovid-19-from-a-probability-of-default-perspective-march-2020-update.
Thau, Barbara. “Coronavirus Effects on Businesses in Major Industries.” U.S. Chamber of Commerce, 20 Mar. 2020, www.uschamber.com/co/good-company/launch-pad/coronavirus-effects-on-major-industries.
“The Biggest Business Impacts of the Coronavirus Pandemic.” EMarketer, www.emarketer.com/content/thebiggest-business-impacts-of-the-coronavirus-pandemic-according-to-business-insider-intelligence.
The pandemic has had significant effects on the world economy. Some industries have benefited from shelter-at-home, work from home, and social distancing policies. While other industries have benefited from this shift. The assignment will provide you with an opportunity to see the effects on a specific firm.
Answer the following questions:
1. Include an introduction that includes a brief discussion of the pandemic and its effects on the world.
2. What types of firms have benefited from the effects of the pandemic? What types of firms have been negatively impacted by the pandemic?
3. Pick one firm in the Dow Jones Industrial Index to study further. Include a brief discussion of the firm, the industry it falls in, and the expected effects of the pandemic. (see https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EDJI/components/)
Find the firm’s most recent earnings report. For most firms, this will be a second or third-quarter earnings release or conference call. Different firms use different terms. If you find that the information on the firm you selected is difficult to find or understand, please select another firm. 4. How has the firm been affected by the pandemic? Discuss Sales and Profits and any other measure you believe is relevant. Include support from the earnings release.
5. What actions have the firm taken in response to the pandemic. Have employees been laid off, have bonuses been cut, etc? Do you believe these actions should have been taken?
6. What was the firm’s stock price on January 2, 2020? What was the firm’s stock price on September 2, 2020? Compute the return over this time period. What is the EAR on this stock?
7. Is the firm’s return consistent with your expectations of the effects of the pandemic on this firm? Clearly explain your answer.
Articles to Read
Do You Know That our Professional Writers are on Stand-by to Provide you with the Most Authentic Custom Paper. Order with us Today and Enjoy an Irresistible Discount!