On Evil, Q.IX ‘On Vainglory’, pp. 341-50
Glittering Vices, ‘Vainglory’, pp. 59-78
C. S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters (selection)
1) What was the most important thing that you learned from the previous lesson? Why do you find this important?
2) After listening to the lecture for the last lesson, how would you improve the answer to one of your questions on the previous assignment? (Be as specific as possible in your answer.)
1) According to Aquinas, what is glory?
2) According to Aquinas, what are the first two ways that we can commit vainglory?
3) According to Aquinas, what are the three proper ends of glory (i.e. the three ways in which we might “laudably ordain” our desire for glory)?
4) According to Aquinas, what is the third way that we can commit vainglory?
5) (i) Summarize, in your own words, Objection 1 from Article 1 (p. 341). (ii) Using both his Answer and his Replies to Objection 1, explain Aquinas’s response to this objection.
6) Which of the three kinds of vainglory are mortal by reason of their kind? Which are venial? Why? In you answer, using only philosophical language, explain how each of the three species of vainglory diminishes human flourishing.
7) Do your best to provide a definition of vainglory that accommodates all of its three species.
8) Which of the daughter sins of vainglory seek to manifest an individual’s excellence directly?
9) Which of the daughter sins of vainglory seek to manifest an individual’s excellence indirectly?
10) How does DeYoung explain the difference between vainglory and pride?
11) According to Screwtape, what does “vain humility” look like? How is it different from genuine humility?
12) What makes vainglory so morally and spiritually dangerous? [For your answer, draw upon both John Cassian’s observation that vainglory is “like an onion” (mentioned by DeYoung in GV) and the selection from The Screwtape Letters.]
13) Drawing upon Aquinas, DeYoung, and our previous readings on pride, what do you think is the root cause of vainglory?
14) Describe two practices, either from DeYoung or Remedies for the Capital Vices, that are recommended for countering vainglory. How does each practice work to correct this vice? Do they seek to cure the root cause of vainglory or just its symptoms? Why?
Place your order now for a similar paper and have exceptional work written by our team of experts to guarantee you A Results
Why Choose US:
11+ years experience on custom writing
90% Return Client
Urgent 3 Hrs Delivery
Your Privacy Guaranteed
Unlimited Free Revisions
Money Back Guarantee