Background (not to be used in your paper): Upton Sinclair’s novel, The Jungle, told of horrible conditions in the meatpacking industry as seen through the struggles of his main character Jurgis Rudkis, a Lithuanian immigrant, and his family. Sinclair hoped his book would highlight the plight of the worker, illustrate what was wrong with American capitalism, and promote social reform. Historians recognize his accounts as exaggerated, but it was an instant best-seller and prompted President Teddy Roosevelt to launch an investigation into his claims. The investigative committee discovered atrocious conditions in some plants but found others to be hygienic. The resultant Neill-Reynolds Report spurred the passing of the Meat Inspection Act (1906) which focused on protecting the public from tainted food but not from the abuses experienced by many in the workplace.
Read the following excerpts:
From Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle, read Chapter 9 and the first 3 paragraphs of Chapter 14 (last sentence of paragraph 3 ends with: “ . . . they would charge two cents more a pound.”):
Use the details from these excerpts to answer ALL of the following questions:
- According to Sinclair, in what ways did immigrants directly experience political corruption?
- According to Sinclair, what conditions did the workers experience in the plants?
- According to Sinclair, what was the state of the meat in these plants?
***DO NOT USE OUTSIDE SOURCES to answer these questions!***
Discussion Forum: Analytical Assignment & Commentary
- A) Analytical Assignment: Copy and paste your assignment directly onto the Discussion Board (do not post as an attachment). Post using the following format: lastname_firstname_assignment_3 (ex: dean_dr._assignment_3).
- Your Analytical Assignment should be at least 300 words in length. Please use complete sentences and organize your responses into paragraphs.
- For this assignment, you do not need an introduction or conclusion; however, your assignment should begin with an overall, specific thesis statement that sums up all of the main arguments (the answers to all of the questions posed) that you will make. Put this thesis statement at the beginning of your assignment, separate from your other paragraphs.
- In your answer to each question, you must include at least 2 specific examples from the documents in support of your argument. Each statement (argument) that you make must be directly supported with evidence from the source. DO NOT use any other resources to answer these questions—only use the assigned excerpts.
- For citation purposes, put the author’s name and the chapter in parentheses (Sinclair, Ch. 9 or Sinclair, Ch. 14). You must give credit to the author each time you quote and/or paraphrase.
Place your order now for a similar paper and have exceptional work written by our team of experts to guarantee you A Results
Why Choose US:
11+ years experience on custom writing
90% Return Client
Urgent 3 Hrs Delivery
Your Privacy Guaranteed
Unlimited Free Revisions
Money Back Guarantee